BirdTunes - The Encyclopedia of Bird Songs for Apple Mobile Devices
The BirdTunes family of applications provides bird enthusiasts with rapid, uncluttered access to a superb collection of North American bird songs and calls. All of the applications run on iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad devices, and share exactly the same user interface. They differ only in the number of bird species covered:
- BirdTunes Lite (free) is a great introduction to the BirdTunes family. It includes 185 tracks for 24 species.
- BirdTunes Basic ($1.99) is perfect for beginning bird song enthusiasts. It includes 830 tracks for 135 species of Eastern and Central North America.
- BirdTunes ($9.99) is the full, comprehensive application, featuring 2432 tracks for 674 species of all of North America: in all, more than ten hours of sound!
To see exactly which species are included in each of the applications, consult the BirdTunes species lists.
The recordings included in the BirdTunes applications emphasize the sound repertoire of each species, including not just the primary song or call for many species, but also lesser-known songs and calls. The recordings are drawn from the collections of prominent field recordists including Lang Elliott, Kevin Colver, Martyn Stewart, Bob McGuire, Ted Mack, and Wil Hershberger.
All of the BirdTunes applications offer:
- An attractive waveform display that shows progress as the current track plays.
- Four playback modes, including modes for playing or repeating either a single track or all of the tracks for a species.
- A gorgeous photo of each species, from the collections of well-known bird photographers including Brian Small, Lang Elliott, Mike Danzenbaker, and Marie Read.
- A search facility that lets you rapidly find a species by any part of its name.
- A customizable list of favorite species for quick access.
- A list of the twenty most recently accessed species.
If you use any of the BirdTunes applications in the field, please do so responsibly. We recommend the American Birding Association’s Code of Ethics, particularly section 1(b), for guidance.
The BirdTunes applications were created by Harold Mills and Lang Elliott.